How to Stop Comparing Your Life to Others’•
Posted on July 25 2019
"Comparison is the thief of joy"
In today's digital world, it's easy to get caught in what feels like the never-ending cycle of comparison. Trust me. Been there, done that!
"Suzie drives a BMW, and I'm still driving my 2002 Volkswagen from high school!"
"Claire's making six figures, and I just landed my first job!"
"Ashley has traveled the world, and I just went out of the country for the first time last summer!"
The comparisons we make in any given day (sometimes any given hour!) are seemingly endless. What’s even scarier is that these thoughts can linger long enough to become burdens on our self-esteem and, in turn, our everyday lives.
But they don’t have to. I’m here to tell you there’s a light at the end of the self-shaming tunnel; you just gotta know how to turn it on.
When I put my life out on social media a few years ago, I was forced to learn a lot along the way. Here are my 5 tips to lessen (and hopefully end) comparing yourself to others, and start loving the life you've already got:
- Be happy for others & move on. Jealousy is not pretty. If you see someone doing big things or accomplishing her goals, be happy for her, and then move on! So often we find others' success stories intimidating, causing us to feel envy. This then leads us to focus on everything someone else is doing, rather than focusing on what we ourselves are doing. That's why we need to pause, take a minute to congratulate someone, and then move on with our day!
- Limit your social media intake. Social media is a powerful tool. It can make you feel super happy, and it can also make you feel super jealous. If you find yourself spending hours each day scrolling endlessly on Instagram and comparing your life, your body, etc. to others, it may be time for a break. Replace your time spent on social media with something that takes your mind off of what everyone else is doing! Get outside, go for a walk, ride a bike, or read a book!
- Practice gratitude. Gratitude wakes us up to the goodness and beauty of life. But (yes, there’s a “but”), we have to choose it! When you find yourself playing the comparison game, take a moment to stop and count your blessings. Think about how lucky you are to have the people you have in your life, the clothes on your back, and the food on your table. Think about how blessed you are just to be alive. Be thankful for it all.
- Embrace your imperfections. Contrary to our flawed belief, no one is perfect. No one. Learn to love yourself now, just as you are. There’s no other you, and that is your superpower. You are beautiful. You are unique. You are you!
- Focus on your own path. This is probably my favorite tip! When you learn to tune out what the rest of the world is doing and just focus on yourself, you notice that there is just no time for comparison. Focusing on your own goals and journey is enough to distract you and make you feel a lot happier about your life. So keep working on your own dreams!
My hope is that you implement these tips into your daily life, and start loving the one life you've got! Remember, you have the power to prevent yourself from comparing your life to others. Don’t let a comparison rob you of your joy again. Hold onto your joy tight, and never let it go!
*Items worn in photo: Black Lace Cami + 'A Girl's Best Friend' Layering Necklace.
Why You Should Neve...
Whether you graduated from high school, finished college, or got your master's degree (congratulations, by the way!), your education should not sto...Read More
How To Style: Pearl...
One of the biggest trends in fashion lately actually has nothing to do with clothes—it's all about the hair accessories! Hair accessories are a gre...Read More
How I Gained the Co...
Most people don’t know that for years I wasn't confident. I stalled myself from starting my dreams sooner because I didn’t know what people would t...Read More